The Conservative Talk Forced Offline Website | Social Media News

Conservative social network Parler was forced to go offline on Monday, tracking websites showed, after Amazon warned the company would lose access to its servers for failing to properly vet violent content.

In an email first obtained by BuzzFeed News, Amazon Web Services told Parler Chief Policy Officer Amy Peikoff that the social media platform violated Amazon’s terms of service by not removing not calls for violence.

The site’s popularity has skyrocketed in recent weeks, becoming the number one free app in Apple’s App Store after far bigger Twitter banned US President Donald Trump from its platform for his role in the inciting a deadly riot at the United States Capitol last week.

Messages of support for Wednesday’s attack in Washington, DC – as well as calls for further protests – flourished on the platform, leading Google to remove it from its app store on Friday, followed by Apple on Saturday.

The two-year-old far-right magnet claims more than 12 million users, although mobile app analytics firm Sensor Tower puts the number at 10 million worldwide, with eight million in the United States. That’s a fraction of the 89 million followers Trump had on Twitter.

Amazon later confirmed that it would suspend the platform from its cloud hosting services for allowing “threats of violence”.

In a letter to owners of Parler, the web giant said it would suspend the service on Sunday at 11:59 p.m. (0759 GMT Monday).

Tracking website Down For Everyone Or Just Me showed Parler offline just after midnight, suggesting its owners had been unable to find a new hosting partner.

In a series of posts on Parler on Saturday, CEO John Matze said the site would be shut down the next day and accused the tech giants of a “war on free speech”.

“They will NOT win! We are the world’s last hope for freedom of expression and freedom of information,” he said.

“Every vendor, from texting services to email providers to our attorneys, all dropped us on the same day,” Matze said Sunday on Fox News.

He said that while the company is trying to get back online as quickly as possible, it “is having a lot of problems because every vendor we talk to says they won’t work with us because, if Apple doesn’t don’t approve and Google don’t approve “don’t approve, they won’t”.

The social network, launched in 2018, works much like Twitter with profiles people can follow and “talks” instead of tweets.

In its early days, the platform attracted a crowd of ultra-conservative and even far-right users. But he now attracts many more traditional Republican voices.

Fox News host Sean Hannity has 7.6 million subscribers, while his colleague Tucker Carlson has 4.4 million.

Elected officials present include Republicans Devin Nunes, a California congressman, and South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem.

Trump is not known to have a Talk profile.

Parler’s recent growth was boosted after last week’s violence in Washington as new users, furious at Twitter’s ban on Trump, flocked to the app calling for further protests.

In a now-deleted post, an account claiming to belong to Lin Wood, a pro-Trump lawyer, called for Vice President Mike Pence to be put before a firing squad – threats reported by US media led to an investigation secret service.