WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. –The No. 4-ranked Purdue basketball team returned home for a tip Saturday afternoon against Michigan at Mackey Arena. This is the first match between the two teams in the space of six days.
The Boilermakers and Wolverines were originally scheduled to meet for the first time this season on Jan. 11, but the game was postponed due to health and safety issues within Michigan’s schedule. This match has since been moved to Thursday, February 10.
Now Purdue is looking to extend its winning streak to five games in front of a sold-out crowd at West Lafayette. Tipoff is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. ET.
- HOW TO WATCH: If you are interested in how to watch from home, all you have to do is CLICK HERE for TV news, point spreads and in-game nuggets.
Purdue has lost its last five meetings with Michigan, dating back to March 2018. The Wolverines have won the last two games at Mackey Arena. However, a win on Saturday would give the Boilermakers their 1,000th regular-season Big Ten win in program history, and it would be the first conference team to do so.
This is how our LIVE BLOG works. We’ll keep you up to date with everything happening in the game in real time, keeping you up to date with rotations, scores and trends. Highlights will be included as they become available.
Let’s get started, the most recent plays will be on top.
2:50 p.m. ET — Michigan calls a timeout after Mason Gillis made his second 3-pointer of the game. The Boilermakers lead 20-8 with 12:32 left in the first half. Purdue is 4-7 from deep to start the game.
2:50 p.m. ET — Hunter Dickinson gives space to Trevion Williams at the top of the key, and the senior center drains a 3-pointer to give Purdue its first double-digit lead of the afternoon.
2:48 p.m. ET — Michigan forces Purdue into a late shot clock, but Jaden Ivey finds Mason Gillis for a 3-pointer. No score for the Wolverines at the other end, and Isaiah Thompson gets a nice bucket inside lane.
2:47 p.m. ET — Trevion Williams and Isaiah Thompson check in for Purdue after media timeout.
2:44 p.m. ET — Purdue leads Michigan 7-4 with 15:39 left in the first half. The Wolverines are only 2-6 from the field, but the Boilermakers are 2-9.
2:43 p.m. ET — Hunter Dickinson called for his first foul of the game, against Zach Edey. The sophomore center went to the line and made his two foul shots.
2:41 p.m. ET — Purdue 1-6 to start the game against Michigan, and Hunter Dickinson gets the first basket for the Wolverines inside the paint. Jaden Ivey attempts a deep 3 to find his first points of the afternoon but fails.
A rebound from Eric Hunter Jr. allows him to get the ball in to Zach Edey for a dunk.
2:39 p.m. ET — Jaden Ivey runs through the defense, obstructs the lane and kicks Sasha Stefanovic. The senior opens the scoring with a 3-point basket.
2:37 p.m. ET — Purdue wins the tip, but is unable to come away with points on their first offensive possession. Michigan opens in a defensive zone.
PRE-MATCH — Purdue is riding with the same starting five against Michigan as its road win over Minnesota. The Boilermakers senior class have never defeated the Wolverines.
- Second-year forward Mason Gillis
- Zach Edey sophomore center
- Second-year guard Jaden Ivey
- Lead goaltender Eric Hunter Jr.
- Senior guard Sasha Stefanovic
Purdue Basketball Stories
- EDEY NAMED TO KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR’S TOP 10 GUARDS LIST: Purdue sophomore center Zach Edey has been named one of 10 finalists for the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award, given annually to the top center in the nation. He’s averaging 15 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game for the Boilermakers this season. CLICK HERE
- OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY PURSUES PURDUE BEYOND MINNESOTA: Jaden Ivey scored 21 points and 10 rebounds to lead Purdue to a win over Minnesota on the road. Eric Hunter Jr. recorded a career-high 20 points while Sasha Stefanovic became the ninth player in program history to reach 200 career 3-pointers. CLICK HERE
- SACHA LIVE! WITH ZACH EDEY MOVED TO MONDAY: Because or weather concerns, this week’s Sasha Live! The podcast featuring Purdue guard Sasha Stefanovic and special guest Zach Edey scheduled for Thursday night at Mad Mushroom Pizza has been postponed. It is postponed to Monday evening. CLICK HERE